Credit goes to @jtbandes for suggesting to send screenshots which led to the solution
I am just answering the question for completeness.
Steps I followed:
- Take a screenshot of image in storyboard
- Take a screenshot of image in device (use mail / photo stream back to your mac)
- Use color picker (part of mac OS color palette) to pick the same spot on both the screenshots
- Note down the RGB values (available on the mac OS color palette) of spots chosen in step 3
- compare both the RGB values and see the difference
- add the RGB offset to match the color.
My RGB offset (not be followed blindly)
based on my experience, i added the following RGB values to get the color I wanted, it is only rough and worked for me:
- Red +12
- Green +19
- Blue +16
Different angles (best to keep it horizontal)
Holding the phone in different angles also gives different shades, keeping it horizontal did give the color