I found the solution here: http://forums.opensuse.org/applications/391114-tomcat6-eclipse-not-working.html
- In Eclipse, Open the “Server” tab.
- Double click on the “Tomcat6” entry to see the configuration.
- Then click on the “Open launch configuration” link in the “General information” block.
- In the dialog, select the “Classpath” tab.
- Click the “Add external jar” button.
- Select the file “/usr/share/tomcat6/bin/tomcat-juli.jar”
- Close the dialog.
- Start tomcat 6 from Eclipse.
Hopefully posting it here will help some poor soul.